Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I have a miniature pinscher (approx. 8 lbs) and he just swallowed 3 ear plugs. What should I do?

They are the compressible foam ones and really soft. Should I try to somehow get them out or will they pass??? Please help!
Answers:
common sense is way on the side of caution. Simply put, get the dog to the vet and dont waste time asking people here. Anyone who has a dog should already be knowledgeable enough to know that foam and rubber products can cause blockage and generally will not pass easily if at all.
Take him to the vet to see if they are dangerous for him. If they are like cat litter, they can be very dangerous. Just take him to the vet.
start watching the stools, it will pass through.
Call the vet and ask - but they will pass in a day or two. Nothing to really worry about.
Hello Supersweet!
If it was me, and he hasn't choked on it, I'd ignore it and let it all go right on through! I'd keep a good eye on him, but I don't think it is as big as a bone or piece of dog treat! He'll be fine! You're very smart for keeping a close watch! I think dogs eat a lot sharper things, and bigger things than an ear plug! Good luck with your miniature pinscher! They are a great pet!
My girl is a jug(jackrusselland pug)
She had eaten 7 earplugs before we knew that she was eating them. How did we find out? They came out whole in her poop!
Our vet said that because they are soft and easy to swallow they will come out when they work themselves through. If you do not find them(at least one) then I would call the vet just to make sure that they will eventually come out. Hope this eases your mind.
I have seen a cat that got blocked from ear plugs. Hopefully your dog will just pass them in a day or so. Any symptoms (vomiting, straining to defecate, not eating, etc.), you need to get him to your vet ASAP. Foreign bodies cause more problems the longer you let them go, so it will be cheaper for you and easier on the dog if you catch any problems early.

No comments:

Post a Comment