Thursday, July 30, 2009

I have a three month old mini pin that I would like to ..?

breed, but she is VERY hyper, even though I want to breed her if I had her spayed would it calm her down any? Yes, I know that she is still a puppy, but she is unusually hyper. Any suggestions?
Answers:
I'd like to remind you that temperament is passed to the puppies, and the mother of a litter has even more influence on her pups behavior since she will raise them. If you are looking to produce more hyper min pins, go ahead and breed her. If not, I'd spay her and look for a more ideal temperament from which to breed.
Sounds like your dog needs a job - or several! Have you done any obedience training? Min pins can be excellent working dogs and put all that energy to good use in obedience, agility, flyball or other dog sports.
If training helps to channel her energy into useful behavior, that would be another plus for keeping her intact for breeding. If she's just too hyper to pay attention and utilize her energy in an acceptable manner, then I'd opt for spaying in order to prevent future generations of min pins with temperament issues that not only you, but others buying pups, will not want to deal with. Such breeding is what gives "back yard breeders" a bad name. Only ever breed the best to the best. Breeding in hopes that it will calm a dog down, or that the pups will be better behaved is pure fallacy.
Unlike neutering males, spaying your female will have little or no effect on her temperament.
I definitely think spaying her would be the best option.
Well, since she's a mini, I won't even ask if she conforms to breed standards, because she doesn't (There's no such thing as a "Mini" or "Teacup" anything!).

Have her spayed - If you do breed her, you'll just end up coming back here and asking where to find a stud and about the whelping process later.

BTW - All 3 month old puppies are hyper...

I know VERY WELL that it's not a recognized breed - See if you can find it on AKC.ORG. NO - You won't! It may be recognized by UKC or CKC, but then again, they register anything that walks and cross-breed designer dogs such as ______Poos (E.g. Yorkiepoo).

And yes, I DO know jack about what I'm talking about!
if you spay her you cant breed her and she will still be hyper get her a boyfriend
Pins are supposed to be hyper and/or nervous, whether she is a pup or not. And I would hope that you know she shouldn't be breed till about 2 yrs old. And having her spayed will not calm her down. That is a myth. If you can't handle her you might want to give her to someone who can, and get a calmer breed of dog. Or a cat.

**EDIT**

I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if you didn't know what you personal were doing. It's just that some people on here are some what idiots.

My sister-in-law has min pins. and they are all hyper and .kinda nervous, so my experience with them is that.

I pasted a link her if you wanted to prove a case with yo-ho or what ever her name is.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_pins...

And you would be surprised how many people want to breed their dogs with the first heat.

Now, with the breeding thing, I would just wait and see if she does calm down some in the next two years, and then breed her with the calmest male you can.

SMILE
Min pins are a very hyper breed. Having one fixed will not change a thing. They are great dogs, just very hyper.

To yoLO! Miniature Pinschers are indeed an AKC recognized breed, as are miniatuure poodles and schnauzers. Min pin is the shortened term for a miniature pinscher. All min pin owners or most will use the term. Miniature pinschers are not miniature dobermans, but are a sperate breed.
NO!!!!!She is a puppy and puppies should be hyper.When they are hyper that means they are healthy.
I am very much against "backyard breeding". If you are not a professional breeder, I would say don't do it. Get your dog spayed.
I also don't believe that MinPins are a very good breed; I used to work in a vet clinic where they kept 3 MinPins in the back for breeding purposes - 2 males and a female. When the female came into heat, the males fought, and the bigger of the two tore the other one apart. He suffered greatly from his wounds and it took him several days to die a slow, painful death. Every other one I've ever met is snappish. They are quite vicious.
having her fixed would help but if you are not walking her that would help a hole lot more if you don't know that much about dogs you shouldn't be trying to breed them I'm not trying to be mean but you need to be a lot more knowledgeable about breeding before you try breeding your pet for ex. did you know some breeds can not give berth they have to have a c.section and giving berth can potentially kill any dog.aging I'm not trying to be mean
I would like to recommend DOG obedience school. A Mini Pin is a very hyper dog. Getting her fixed will not help. Get her toys to help her stay calm. Also she is very young and playful so be patient. I have 5 Mini Pins.
Why would you want to breed her if you think that her personality is off? Breeding animals should be done because they have an exceptional personality, not because they are show quality. Spaying her may calm her down a little. But not dramatically.
You don't seem pleased with her temperament, so why would you want to breed more hyper Min Pins?

No comments:

Post a Comment