Friday, July 31, 2009

I have to get rid of a 100lb, 4 year old dog.?

Any suggestions on how to get rid of a dog this big? I have two dogs and this one is causing problems with my kids and the other dog. I would like to find someone to take him but have been unsuccessful doing so.
Answers:
You should go to Dogster and create a page for him and list him as being available for adoption...

BUT

be honest about his personality...
explain why you are letting him go so the people who take him will know if they can handle him or not...

or
turn him over to a rescue group
or to the SPCA or Humane Society in your area.

Two of my dogs are that size, but you didn't say what breed your dog is. I love big dogs of this one breed, but not all large brees would appeal to me. Please add that to your question as you might find someone who would be interested who's reading these questions.. BUT
they need to know what breed. There are some breeds I will not consider... breed tells a lot about personality and this is important information the person who might consider rehoming your dog needs to know...
"Get rid off" I really hate those words when referring to what is suppose to be a member of your family. I don't think you have enough info posted on why you want to re-home your dog for anyone to intelligently reply.
try a rescue org. theres rescues for all types of breed. he might be a problem to you, but he could very well be the best thing to someone else. just remember humane societies and shelters euthanize. to me thats just not an option.
Befor deciding to "get rid" of him. Try training him instead. He needs to be told by you and the rest of the human members of the family who is boss. Do some research on dominance and have you and your family practice it. It sounds to me like you have a dog that is overly dominant over your whole family, you included.
Try to see if your local animal shelter will take him and put him up for adoption. Chances are he Will find a new family that will love to have him.
Sorry you have to get rid of him it seems that with some training he could be a great dog.
Just don't euthanize him because there will be someone out there that will love to have him.
Have you tried working with a trainer. Usually dogs will be less liable to cause trouble if you step up to the alpha position. Google Nothing In Life is Free for now.

Suggestions for "getting rid of a dog"??? Nope, I've kept mine for life and trained all of them.

Exercise it and tire it out, it will be less likely to cause trouble.
Train it and neuter it.

Good luck finding a home for him.few people can take on dogs that large that are untrained and unreliable.

I've kept up to 6 dogs in the house and never allowed them to start anything...but I know some people have to learn to be a pack leader. And few people actually give their dogs enough exercise and training.

No comments:

Post a Comment