Thursday, July 30, 2009

I have an8 year old toy poodle that I got from the pound 4 years ago. Is there any "positive" training get h

When she is in the house she is mostly quiet, but when she goes out or looks out and either sees or hears something or someone, she barks.
Answers:
Positive reinforcement and redirection will help this problem along with getting her more socialized to unknown sights and sounds. Since she is from the pound she may have some social anxieties that socializing may help. Try a breed specific club or even a training class to get her more adjusted to new sounds.
The thing that I use on my toy poodles %26 other dogs I've rescued is a simple squirt bottle. I tell them "quiet" then 1 squirt near the face. And I just repeat that until they get the idea. It usually only takes a couple times to make them understand. You just have to do it the same way all the time %26 it'll get to the point where you'll only need to show the bottle %26 eventually, you can put it away. The one thing you cannot do is smack them since you don't know what kind of home they came from. I did try the treats %26 cuddles but it just didn't work. I do tell them how good they are if they listen the 1st time.
Good Luck!
The best I have for you is watch the Dog Whisperer. Friday nights, starting at 7 p.m. on the National Geographic channel.
Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer) also has a couple of books out on his methods. Old dogs can be taught new "tricks" and old habits can be broken but it takes a lot of work and dedication. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment