Friday, July 31, 2009

I intend to start showing my dog...?

In august at a local show. I also intend to be the one -to- show him. We'll also start doing obediance trials (at chetco's suggestion,actually. Thanks,chetco!).

My question is: Anyone know of a really nice website that has beginner-based lists of things to bring? Lingo? Etc? I know some here and there, but somewhere to start and extend my knowledge within the next few months would be lovely.

Links are awesome. Thank you!
Answers:
The best thing you can do is visit several shows and talk to / befriend other people that show that are willing to show you the ropes and teach you the lingo.
It might be a good idea for you to join a Yahoo group of show people in your breed. I know there is a group for show beagles, etc. There will be people there who have VAST experience in showing your breed and will be happy to help you with advice.
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/consho2.ht...

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/actualsh...

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/b...

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/c...

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/i...

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/g...

Google to find your local all breed conformation club...see if they offer handling classes.

Also look for your breed's local club, see if any of the members might give you tips on how to show your breed.

If you bought your dog from a good breeder, talk to your dog's breeder. If they aren't local, see if they can recommend anyone in your area to mentor you.

There are good books on showing dogs also, as well as videos.

Try to find a fun match...it's much more forgiving than a show and a great place to practice.

You did not mention your breed, so any tips I have are general.
I don't know about web sites, but here are two books I'd recommend:

Dog Showing for Beginners, by Lynn Hall (Howell Book House)
Show Me! by D. Caroline Coile (Barron's)

Good luck at the shows. Maybe I'll see you there someday.
try www.americankennelclub.com
The Absolute Beginners Guide to Showing your dog by Cheryl s. Smith.
Also - go to dog shows, hang out.
1 great way is start out in UKC -http://www.ukcdogs.com/
This org is as old as AKC, but more laid back, easy going, and you can bring your dog/s.
If you would like more info
my e-mail
hvw@roadrunner.com
Hope Welch
www.americankennelclub.com
is good
Dog shows are fun! Good for you.

Start taking your dog to "handling class" so that you both know what to expect. Handling class will simulate what your class will be like.
(This is for showing Conformation)

I would go to the Great Dane Club website and find your local club. They should be able to help you.

Obedience is a BLAST!!
Make sure you train with a "real" dog trainer and not a click and treat-retail pet store "trainer". Remember you want your dog to bond with you and not his stomach.

Visit the following websites
It would be helpful to know what you are showing in...are you showing in conformation, obedience, rallly?
What to bring depends on what you will be showing in as well as how you should dress.

There are Dane Clubs down in your area and a lot of Dane owners down that way that show.

I show Danes in all 3 events.
I used to show danes in juniors, I'd love to help. Any specific questions? Go to groups.yahoo.com, there are several groups relating to dog shows. A lot of beginners are on these groups, and it a great way to meet people, I moderate groups: AKCDogShow, and Show Me, there's also Show Dogs, and several others. You can see my pictures at photos.yahoo.com/cosmo_chica, under dog shows. I showed danes in juniors, and eventually moved into sporting breeds-english setters.

No comments:

Post a Comment