Friday, July 31, 2009

I have two dogs and when i leave to go somewhere i put our dogs in the kennel.?

when they poop they run through it so by the time i get home to clean it, it is smeared in the ground (these are outside dogs). I shovel it but it still smells. How can I make it not smell so bad?
Answers:
Not sure what the surface is...I agree a washable surface will help a lot. That said, I don't have one, so below is what i do. Mind you I have one dog, two at times (I foster), and a couple of cats (who go at home) in a fairly good-sized run.

1) There are products to help with getting your dogs to go in one area, so that they are less apt to run through it or have it all over the place. I've seen pheromone releasing posts, for example. Not sure how they work, but worth a try if it will help. I was lucky, mine trained herself to go in one region, and, so far, has trained the other dogs that come over, too. I just need to keep it clean!

2) I occasionally spray down with a yard spray (Yard Odor Killer brandname) I get at the pet store. It works for concrete and is safe for plants and pets.

3) For the indoor area, (it is part of the garage), I will mop with one of the enzymatic cleaners from time to time for general doggie smells. (I use Nature's Miracle laundry detergent or cleaner)

4) For the dirt areas, I put down bark. I get that at places like Home Depot. It keeps things from getting muddy, and I don't have to deal with grass. Occasionally (1/ year) I will add another bag if it seems to be getting thin. Seems to also help with the smell.

All pet products I metnion are available online or at most pet stores. I just looked at petsmart, they have the two brands I mention online.
Try washing the kennel area with bleach %26 water (rinse real good). It'll kill germs and help the smell.
Good luck.
how can you make poop not smell so bad?? if you find out let me know,,, also, why aren't your dogs trained to live in the house with the rest of the family?? why have them?
QUOTE
"why aren't your dogs trained to live in the house with the rest of the family?? why have them? "

There are a gazillion reasons why some dogs should be housed outside.
Would you like to have this crew in a house with you??
http://www.hunt101.com/img/449178.jpg...
They come in when it is THEIR TURN.
If you expect a dog to work in freezing temperatures absolutely the cruelest thing you can do is make them live in the house where it is warm.

You really should put your kennels an a washable surface so that you can keep it clean.
spray a special chemical to make the smell go away.
ask a local and close vet with a lot of experience to help you

No comments:

Post a Comment