Thursday, July 30, 2009

I have adopted a 6 month old chiuahua female; she is very small and was neglected. She has no muscle tone.?

what can i feed her to make her look healthier? She was wormed twice by her previous owner also.
Answers:
Don't worry, it's not uncommon for puppies to get worms. And Chihuahuas are small dogs who don't acquire much of a muscle tone! I recommend any "premium performance" type of dog food if you want her to put weight on (it is for active sporting dogs, and has a much higher calorie count than regular food). I use Eukanuba. Also, at 6 months, she is young enough for puppy chow.
Go to the pet store and explain it to them. Call to see if you can bring her.
Start exercising her.
ceasers is good .that is very nice of you to take her in home and love her i wish you the best of luck ..whats her name
dogs that are thin need alot of protein...and small feedings a few times a day...we always fed beef and rice to under weight dogs. protein is the best to build muscle. and start small walks...
Chihuahuas aren't really known for their muscular strength, but you can bulk her a bit with exercise and a premium dog food. You can aslo add to her caloric intake with some bland meat (lean chicken or beef).

Take her for several walks a day and get her running if possible. Fetch and chase are good games.

Good luck with your pup!
well i would worm her again make sure she has all her shots and feed her purina puppy food high in protien, and vitamins.
If you are going to feed her a good food find one that has a wide variety of different types of proteins. You can even add a can of tuna or salmon to the dogs food for that extra variety. beware that expensive doesn't mean good. I looked at some very expensive foods which the main ingredient was corn, a filler, just like the cheap ones which the dog cannot digest any better than we do. Look for several types of meat in the food. I use Nutro max which has 2 types, doesn't have corn as the main ingredient (notice the difference between corn and corn gluten, corn gluten is the small white bit in the center of the kernel, very healthy and easy to digest) and is only slightly more expensive than pedigree and the other cheap ones and I put in tuna for a third. I agree with the other people too...lots of exercise.
I feed my Lab puppy Purina Pro Plan for puppies with chicken and Rice.This is a very good food for puppies digestive systems.

Try putting your puppy in a warm bath and see if she will start to swim while holding onto it. Do this a few times a day.This will help to build up the muscles in the legs, back and shoulders.
Make sure the puppy is seen by a Vet so it can get the necessary shots. I hope it has had its 6 week shots?? If not it has missed a lot of shots.
Good Luck
Our dog eats a nice cooked mixture of barley ( i think) and chicken bits. My mom got that idea from her friend, who got that idea from the vet she went to to get her dog fixed. Sometimes instead of the barley, since im not exactly sure thats what it is, you can use white rice, or even brown rice. Its healtheir for dogs, but make sure that once a day, your little puppy gets a small bowl of regular dog food, as it has some nutrients and vitamins that dogs need. Also, make sure that your pup gets exercise.
First let me say, Congratulations on your new little girl. I breed Chihuahua's, and I own # 8. Chihuahua's are known to be very picky eaters. I feed my dogs "Canidae All Life Stages Dry Food", and they love it. You can use this food, through all stages of the dog's life, from the weaning stage to the senior adult stage, so you don't have to worry about switching the puppy, to adult food, when she's old enough, you can just feed her the Canidae All Life Stages. It's a great, high quality nutritious food. It's all natural, has no corn, wheat, soy, grain fractions, fillers or by products and is naturally preserved. It's not on the recall list, and I don't believe it ever will be. It's safe! It is very reasonably priced, and lasts a long time, because they don't eat as much as they would, with a store bought brand, but they still get all of the necessary nutrition they need to keep them happy and healthy. My dogs, have never been sick! If you want more information on this food, just type "Canidae All Life Stages", in your search bar, and everything you need to know, is right there. If I can help you with anything else, please go to my profile and e-mail me, and I will do my best to answer your questions. Good Luck! Hope this helps!
I have a 4 month old chihuahua female; I fed her puppy chow for the first three months. After I changed the food to Eukanuba, she gained 2 pounds. In addition, I walk her 2 miles a day. She has gained some muscle tone and increased her running speed. I found that if I walked her over 2 miles she tends to get tired while walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment