Thursday, July 30, 2009

I have a shimmering white mini schnauzer, young. How do I stop the hole digging and the paper tearing?

She is less than a year old, and I just got her spayed. She has become even more excitable since that. She tears up paper anything all over the house when I am asleep or gone.
I have gotten her a kennel which I think has finally gotten her to stop pottying all over the house now, and she will go into it readily for a dog cookie sometimes without I will just find her in there.
She will bring me her toys, and distribute them throughout the house. But will still tear up books, papers , cards etc. inside and outdoors digs holes all over the yard. How can I help her to stop both of these activities?
Answers:
My mother always got schnauzers.. and as puppies that's pretty much what they do.. (are youngest actually was an angel.. did almost none of that..but we did nothing different)

If it is happening when you are not there, just keep her caged.. (sounds bad, but as long as there are toys to keep her occupied and she's not left that way for really long pereiods of time she'll be fine) They do grow out of it generally.. keep buying chew toys.. ( I don't recommend rawhide.. too easy to choke on it) and try and get some professional training..
You can't really stop it just let him grow out of it sinse he's young.
when you have these unfortunate victims of BYB's anything is possible in the way of health %26 temperment so it is great that you got her spayed.

Is she getting at least 3 brisk 20 - 30 minute walks a day? That is very important in helping you HB her too. At this age she should really be HB or very close to it. You may have to go back to square one with taking her out every hour.
A. Obedience train her...find an obedience club near you.

B. Exercise her.tired dogs behave much better. It also sounds like she's bored. You can try Rally Obedience or clicker training to keep her brain busy. A busy mind is another way to tire a dog out.

C. Teach her games.teach her to find specific toys, fetch and other games. Schnauzers can be highly intelligent, so they get bored easy.
i have a mini schnauzer-- she needs lots and lots of exercise!
watch cesar on the dog whisperer- the way most people walk their dogs is the wrong way
and you need to establish your dominance- it makes a huge difference, trust me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment