Thursday, July 30, 2009

I have a very skinny husky?

I have a 4 year old husky she only weights about 40 lbs. I have taken her to the vet had her dewormed. The vet says she is fine. She is active and has normal poop and a healthy coat, but she doesn't eat very much and has not gained anything since I got her 3 years ago. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Sometimes I feel bad when I take her for a walk some people say she is just beautiful but others look at me like I am a horrible person because you can see her ribs and her hip bones.
Answers:
Sometimes dogs are naturally thin, just like people. I wouldn't worry about it if your vet says she is healthy.
Make sure she is eating a high quality food. I suggest Fish and Chips (trout and sweet potato) and Lamb Millet and Rice, which do not contain fillers like corn and wheat. You can find them here: http://www.frrco.com/121668 You feed less of it and there is less poop to clean because they digest and use more of what is in the foods.

I have a dog here who will not gain weight on any food other then the two mentioned above that I have tried.
if she looks to thin she probably is don't you think...?? i guess if the vet says okay don't worry about what others think
Did your vet also deworm her for Tapeworms and Whipworms? Those two worms require a seperate worming treatment then what vets usually use for a basic worming. I would suggest you ask your vet about that first and then I would look at what your feeding her. Make sure your feeding her a high quality, higher calorie food. Maybe you could also try vitamin supplements, too.

I know from past experience, some dogs will just be skinny! No matter what you do! After trying all medical solutions and foods, and no changes, this could be just her body type! Like people, some of us are just fat or skinny, no matter what we do! So, if you have had her vet checked and know your feeding her the best food, then no worries! I am sure she is just fine. Maybe with age she will put on more weight, but she may not.
The Siberian husky is a *medium-sized* breed. My females regularly weigh between 38-45 lbs. They ARE NOT BIG DOGS.

Your vet is right. You should be able to feel her individual ribs, with a nice layer of muscle and fat over them. You should be able to feel the points on her hip bones.

If she is in full coat, and you can still see her ribs/hip bones, then I suppose she may be too thin. But she must be a *huge* female if she's thin at 40#.

Siberians are a lean, athletic, food-utilizing breed. My 60# males thrive on 3.5 cups of food daily, and that's in the winter when they are generally pulling a sled 4-5 days/week.

I frequently have to get on my puppy-buyers when they send in pictures of their dogs, and they are sausages with legs. This breed should not be overweight. You girl will be healthier if you keep her thin!

No comments:

Post a Comment