Friday, July 31, 2009

I have recently adopted a Greyhound and I am loving it, but he has a habit of peeing in my kitchen?

how can I break him of this. He never does it when I am there so I can't catch him in the act.
Answers:
There are a few things you can try, but certainly don't hit the dog with a belt as someone else suggested!! And definitely don't rub his face in it--this will, believe it or not, humiliate the dog and actually encourages him not to pee in front of you, exacerbating your present issue of him going in the kitchen when you are not around. In the debate of nature vs. nurture, nurture does have its strong points...

I would start off with some "pee pads" to use when you are not around to monitor him, but use them when you are there to start off. Some come with a scent in them to encourage peeing. You can get these inexpensive wonders at WalMart, for example. Put it where he normally likes to pee in the kitchen, and introduce him to it with praise. Let him go on it while you are there, if possible. Sometimes, he may be on it but miss the pad, but praise him anyway so he gets the idea. I know you'd rather he wait and go outside, but this is better than just going on the floor, right? =) Don't make a big deal of the mess he makes now, just clean it up and ignore him--unless you catch him in the act, where a stern No! will suffice. When you do notice that he uses the pad when you are not around, take him over to it and let him sniff, then give praise. He will get the idea that going on the pad ellicits good results, going on the floor gets him nothing.

When you do take him outside, take him right to the spot where you want him to pee and say "Go potty. Good boy!" or something like that, and keep repeating it until he goes. Then praise him again with a treat or love.

I recently housebroke our new puppy, and he is doing great! He will now almost pee on command when I say, "Go pee. Hurry up!" I used the routine above and it worked well.

Another alternative is a spray that is supposed to deter dogs from peeing whereever you spray it. I have no experience with this, so I don't know if it really works or not.

Anyway, it will take a little extra attention and effort at first, but the results will pay off. Good luck!

PS: I forgot to mention... If he gives up on his favortite pee spot and is regularly using the pads, don't eliminate them right off. (I tried this and it put us back to square one.) Slowly move the pad toward the door, a little bit each day. When you are at the door, move the pad outside and continue directing him to it. Eventually, you can remove the pad altogether--task accomplished! =) It took us about a month before I was able to eliminate the pads.
crate him...he was never housebroken if he was a competitive animal.
Discipline. You have to push his nose in the pee, then spank him with something. Never use your hand. Use a slipper or belt. So you put his snout in the pee. Tell him no, spank him, then tak him to wherever you want him to pee and say yes. It sounds mean but after a few times he'll get the point and stop it.
He needs to go out more often.
Hey be greatful he doesn't pee in your bedroom. If you take him out every couple hours and tell him to potty and wait till he does then reward him, he will get the jist of your rules!! Hey you didn't know to pee in the toilet till someone educated you how!!! Dogs are no different. Be patient and use the reward system both verbally and with a treat, however, like my dog when they do potty they will stand by the treat jar waiting for their reward!! It is only bad early in the morning when not only can I hardly find the door to let them out..finding the treats are almost impossible....but now I leave a couple high on the counter on those RUFF nights.. :o)
i have 2 retired greys and had the same prob coz greys are not housetrained so u have to basically house train them again..my female was a sod to housetrain as she would just go where and when she liked but my male has only messed in side a few times so i got into the habit of letting them out every half hour even if they didnt need to go and low and behold the messinside has diminished..greys in kennels (rcing or otherwise)have a free run of the kennels so if they need to go they will just go where the fancy takes them and its our job to teach them that they must go loo outside.my male grey tooka fancy to my bedroom door at first so that became his peeing post but he has stopped that now which is good sooooooooo my advice to u would be get into the habit of letting him out say every half hour and he should start to get the idea,it took my female nearly 3 months before she was clean indoors so be patient..feel free to mail me via my profile if you need any more tips and tricks iv got plenty...best of luck xxxxP.S dont do as ride 750says
well first of all if you hit him he will get more angry! well when my dog was small he used to do that all the time! someone told me if you get something that smells really good or a type of something which smell dogs dont like and you spray or drop it or anything on the floor he wont even come in the kitchen.
If you got him straight off the track without being in a foster home first, he's not house trained. You need to train him like you would a puppy - but it won't take long because he has full bladder control and greys catch on quickly.

First you need to make sure you've gotten out all trace of the smell or he'll keep going back there. When you're home, keep him with you so you can keep an eye on him. When he shows signs of needing to pee, go out with him, say "go pee", give him lots and lots of praise and second he does, then come right back in. This way he learns the difference between play time and pee time outside.

When you're not home, you need to either crate him or get him an exercise pen until he's reliably house trained. If he sleeps in your room at night, can you close the door to confine him to the room?

These dogs are pretty sensitive and really hate being in trouble, plus they're smart, so they learn quickly if they know what you want them to do. The key is to praise him for doing it correctly and not give him the chance to make a mistake.

Two of mine were straight off the track, plus I've had lots of fosters fresh off the track - they all house trained really quickly.
It depends on how old it is -- if its less than 6 months than youll really need to be patient, and just block off the access to the kitchen. Eventually he'll learn not to do it.

Then, you have to regulate his peeing habit, by anticipating when he needs to go and take him out to help ensure you keep his bladder empty.

If youre at work, with no one to take him out, then youll need to train them with those pee pads for dogs.
I once adopted a female pup while in an apartment.
Right before I left to work I would take her out, and first thing after work, Iwould need to get home to take her out again.

So it is possible to do, it just takes time.

You can also try the tough love approach, with a spank and put its face in it,but I havent found that that works best.
Its understanding your dog thats going to create the best relationship between you two.

Sometimes the easiest thing is to get mad at the dog for things that we fail to do.
But then again, sometimes its merely a matter of the dog trying to impose its will, mark its territory and try establishing dominance.

Only you know your dog. youll have to judge whats the best approach. But keep in mind this is only a small temporary situation that should be easily resolved.
If it cant be nomatter what you do, then its merely the dog trying to impose its will.
Thats when you have to remind it whos house they are staying in.

Try the first approach first.
Not sure, but I think Kellyher just wrote the longest sentence in history.
I adopted my first grey 1.5 years ago. He's had less than 6 accidents since I got him. The first few were definately "marking his territory", but after a month or so that part of it stopped. Not sure how long you have had yours, but this could be part of the issue, especially if you have had other pets before and he is smelling them.

As suggested by others, get one of the those pet smell neutralizers and get any odor from him or other pets out of the kitchen. Next, ALWAYS crate him when you go out. Greyt hounds will not pee in their crate. Let him out to pee as soon as you get home. I don't know what your schedule is like, but I started out coming home from work at lunch to let him out when I first got mine. I began by coming home at noon for a week, then around 12:30 for a week, then 1:00 for a week and so on to extend the time he had to wait until he could go out. After several weeks of this, I began letting him out of the crate if I was going out to run errands for no more than an hour. If he did ok, then I'd try for 2 hours the next time, then 3 and so on. I'd make sure to let him out last thing before I left and first thing when I got home.

All together it took less than 2 months to completely house break him. If your greyt hound persists, there are "doggy diapers" you can get but I'd only try that as a last resort. One good thing, at least he's doing it in your kitchen on a solid surface rather than a carpet. Cleaning and getting rid of the odor is much easier. Mine did this too.see they are smart enough to at least know this is the lesser of two evils!

Enjoy your hound, they are the most awesome dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment