Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I have a question about chihuahuas and breeding?

Okay I don't think I am going to do this, and my chi has a appointment for Neuter in June. But I ran into this woman I used to know and she has a AKC female Chi. Well she saw me walking my dog in the grass and she says he has a beatiful conformation and wants me to stud him and in return I would get my choice of the litter. But I don't know why she wants to do this sense mine is UKC registered. I was interested in the puppy part but I want to know what changes this would evolve in my dog. Also he is young (4 months) how long would I have to wait. But like I said I am only asking out of curiousity sence I am most likly not having anything to do with it. Please tell me what problems and pros come with studing a dog once?
Answers:
ideally he should be about two years before you first use him as stud dog
as a one off they are normally ok and doesnt change them however the adjustment in hormones can mean he will become amourous with household objects and you !!
dont do it is not worth it he is never gonna know the difference if you get him done anyway
and imagine how much money this lady will make as she will prob sell them as registered puppys you can get pedigrees made up over the internet so he has a bit of fun he doesnt need you have a puppy and she makes a wad of cash ???
Usually the stud owner and the females owner split the fees for the stud process. If you can get them to mate the natural way then its usually not very expensive. However if you end up having him at the vet to "collect" the semen and have the female artificially inseminated, then the bills can rack up. Talk to the females owner and ask her if you would be responsible for bloodwork etc.
Any puppies you got from this littler would not be registerable with either AKC or UKC. Your puppy is way too young to use as a stud. Have her female been checked for the genetic problems common in Chis'? How about tested for Brucellosis? Other sexually transmitted diseases? How about your boy -- has he been checked?

Problems with studs CAN be: increased marking or leg lifting in house, yard, etc. Occasionally can become more aggressive towards other dogs, and people, may be at a greater risk of developing prostate cancer and other cancers/diseases of the reproductive tract.

Is it really worth the risks?
Once he bites that forbidden fruit he will never be the same. His temperment will change permanently, even if you neuter him afterwards. Think about how you would feel if you had this awesome experience. You'd want to do it more, but then immediately afterwards you become incapable of doing it.
She is either a BYB or puppymill breeder. Serious breeders would NEVER consider using a dog without wanting to know about it's background, pedigree, health tests etc. Even if I saw the most beautiful basset ever I'd want to know these things. And at 4 months of age, there is no way of knowing how a dog will turn out.

She's just looking for free stud service.
dont do this she is a byb . and also we have enough dogs in the shelter dying everyday we dont need any more . Please just go ahead with your plan and neuter your dog . you will be glad you did in the long run . good luck to you .
Usually males that go un-neutered and are studding become leg lifters. You don't want this for just a puppy. He will stink up your house. Besides there is enough pups out there that if you want another you can get another.
Don't do it. She is not being an ethical responsible breeder asking people on the street to use their dog at stud. As was mentioned the pups would not be able to be registered and not only that, I am pretty sure Chi's only have 1 or 2 pups per litter generally and often times need C-sections... I seriously doubt you'd ever see a puppy or a dime or hear from her again.
Your dog would ideally need to be 2 years old although could sire a litter much younger.
I am in no way suggesting that I would support such a breeding because I absolutely do not but IF you should decide to do this, take a stud fee up front and tell her you would maybe consider buying a puppy once they get here if the timing and situation work out well for you. There is no way in he!! I would do a 'pay ya later with a puppy' deal. You will only end up ticked off at yourself for falling for it. Also you would need her to provide you with Brucellosis negative test from her vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment