Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I have a question about a baby boxer.?

Well I have a 1 month old boxer..and I have some questions or I need some advice, I want to make sure I am doing everything right.

My husband is afraid he is sick because he is sleeping ALL the time. But I told him that he is just a baby, that he will sleep all of the time.
He has just started to have runny poop when we take him outside is that normal? We are feeding him puppy chow with water in it to make is soggy for him.
When can we start training him? I am wondering if he is still too young. We are trying to crate train, and he goes outside EVERYTIME we take him, so that is great because he knows when we take him to the grass it is time to go. But for a while, I don't see him ever going to the door to tell us he needs to go. He has gone in the house, and I have caught him just about ever time in the middle of it to take him outside. I just clap loud and say NO and rush him outside.

Please help me out and give me tips on what to do with my new boxer. I love him!!
Answers:
Hi! We have had several boxers. We love them so much. Puppies do sleep a lot but the runny poop is not good. If you haven't taken him into the vet for a check up do so as soon as possible. He could have worms. We had one boxer with the same problem and he had hook worms.These really zap their energy. Boxers are very playful. We had a boxer that lived for 14 years and she played right up until the end. Good luck.
If you want him to go outside I dont suggest crate training him.The water in his food is probably what is making it runny.Since he is so young,he will need to sleep all the time,so thats normal.Just keep taking him outside when he has an accident and as soon as hes finished eating.It could take a while to get him to realize that he's supposed to go to the door when he has to go so just be patient!Good luck!
This pup is to young to even be away from its mom. Where did you get such a very young pup? It has barely learned to eat soild foods. Oh my goodness!
Runny stools is because his digestive system is imature and trying to digest puppy food it rough on him. He will sleep the bulk of his time until he's almost 6 weeks old. This baby must be fed 4 times a day for him to be healthy. A vet vist is very necessary of a pup this young so your vet can advise you on the proper care of this baby.
It is illegal in most states to have a pup this young the person you got this pup from should be reported.
Pups should not be given or sold before the age of 8 weeks old.
A ONE month old puppy?? That is way to young to be away from it's mother. This puppy could have a lot of issues. The puppy is to young to start training. You are expecting WAY to much from this puppy and shouldn't even have been able to get him for 4 more weeks. Shame on the breeder and shame on you for not doing your homework before bringing him home.
Not to criticize you, but why is a 4 week old puppy away from it's mother?
Usually dogs need to be with parents until about 6-8 weeks. Legally, a breeder cannot sell you a dog before 8 weeks. They start taking solid food at around 5 weeks. You say your dog is a month old? Maybe this is the problem. He's still too little to be potty trained. Start with the crate first but don't expect any kind of real training until 8-12 weeks old. Boxers are very intelligent and he should be trained quickly. These are all questions you should ask your vet. I am assuming you are taking puppy for the shots??? Also, get a couple reference books on Boxers and puppies. You could check them out from your local public library to get info and if you find one book you really like, buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment