Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I have a miniture pincher she is toooo hyper what will calm her down?

Like I said I have a mini pin she is so hyper she is constantly chewing on things she should not be chewing and just too hyper is it just the breed she is or what? I need help she is destroying everything. She is almost a year old will she grow out of it or what?
Answers:
first off note that your dog probably does not suffer from Hyper Activity. This is a medical condition. Miniature Pinschers are high energy dogs that if they are not allowed to exert this energy can become destructive. They require a securely fenced yard free of a leash to wear themselves out. They are not a toy dog but in fact a working breed that is a true member of the terrier group. Walking them on a leash is not sufficient enough for them to wear off the energy that have. As for growing out of it, Miniature Pinschers will live in a state of "terrible two's" unitl approx 10 to 11 years of age on average. Simply put, it is a HIGH energy breed. Unfortunately you did not take time to research prior to getting her otherwise you would have been prepared for this. Give her enough time in a enclosed yard to wear off her energy so she can relax in the evening. You will see a reduction in much of the problem.
try letting her excersize more, take her for walks, let her run around the yard. that might tire her out.
i have one , a male that just turned 2 in jan. and he is psycho, i have never seen a dog like this in my life, he scratches the walls, chases sun rays, lights, shadows, he's begun chewing my couch.i think they are just nuts, we just put a fence up so maybe him getting out and having more exercise will calm him down on the inside...but to answer the question mine is older than yours and no i dont see much change.god help us both:o)
sedatives.
The breed is known to be a chewer. Have you taken her to obedience classes, and do you provide PLENTY of chew toys for her? They may help.

Also, check to see if there is a local dog park. Those are miracle workers, for energetic dogs (as long as they've been properly socialized with other dogs!).
*chuckle* Hyperactivity is practically bred into a MinPin... but you may find that letting her get a lot more exercise will help... either energetic play, or long walks, or just letting her out to run, if you have a safe place to do so.

As for the chewing... You really should have started training her not to do that, a long time ago, but she can still learn, with patience and care.. but you need to be there every moment.
Voice training is kindest, but hardest... have a rewarding tone and a disciplining tone, make sure she understands the difference, and repeat, repeat, repeat.
try exercising her more and playing with her but if that doesnt work you should go to the vet and see if you could get some tranquilizer pills. It wont put them too sleep it will just knock some of the energy out of them
Welcome to my world!
Give her as much exercise as you possibly can. A convenient way I do it with my Energizer Bunny (er, Puppy) is to just run around the house - she instinctively chases me. Make it fun, get her involved %26 do this several times a day. Also, take her out often. Just being in different, stimulating environments all day will often make a dog calmer at the end of the day. Make sure she's got toys, I know, my dog is the Poster Puppy for the chewing phenomenon. Lastly, is she still a puppy? She'll outgrow a lot of her hyperness, but also be sure she's neutered if she's old enough... it "matures" them, among all the other benefits of neutering.
I have 2 miniature pinschers. 1 male and 1 female My male is completely hyper mad my female is pretty much laid back. I take them for walks several times a day. There is a park a block away from me that has a bike path. I usually take them there. I walk for about 20-30 minute every time. A minpin is known to be rambunctious. I would suggest to walk her several times a day and also play with her several times a day in between walks. Having several toys will help a great deal. My male I've had since he was 11 weeks old. He has never chewed anything of mine. He loves his toys. I made sure to play with him and kept his mind on toys. Another thing that may help, is crate training. It is a place where she can feel safe and it will be a place she can claim as hers. Slowly introduce her to a crate big enough so she can lay down in it comfortably. Besides toys, offer her sever types of chew bones, till you find the ones she likes. Both of my minpins enjoy rawhide bones. Don't get the really small bones, get her a medium sized bone, it will last longer and it will take her longer to get through it. I usually have to replace their bones about every 3 months, sometimes sooner. When the bones get too small for them, I throw them away and replace with new ones.
I can take my male out for his walks and he seems like he still has quite a bit of energy. If you have roller blades, introduce them to you dog slowly so as not to frighten her, also you can take her for a run while riding a bicycle. I am working with my male and the roller blades right now, but I take him out about 1-2 times running beside my bike. Just be careful not to get the leash stuck in the tires or pedals of the bike. I believe they make an attachment for bikes just for this purpose. I hope this helps. It really helps me out alot. Good Luck!!
she will not grow out of it..you let her act this way for a year, now it has become habit... go to dog school, offer longggggg leash walks, and perhaps go for a visit with her to your breeders house,,, let her play with the dogs there, and your breeder can offer you some sound advice

No comments:

Post a Comment