Monday, May 24, 2010

I need to feed my dog prescription dog food, how will it affect his insurance premiums?

He is a middle aged dog, needing hills c/d for the rest of his life according to the vet.
I know there must be an alternative - we are capitalists afterall, i am even happy to prepare from scratch myself.
BUT - if there is no other option than to claim for prescription food through his insurance - how will the premiums be affected.
I already pay 拢16 monthly, with a 拢90 xs.
Answers:
Not sure about the premiums but be aware that "hill's prescription range" including the C/D range are not in fact (despite the name) prescription foods! This is just the way it is marketed.
These foods can be bought from other places such as pet stores and pharmacies and are nearly always cheaper than the vets. I would put money on the fact that the vet did not mention this to you.


EDIT.

NO, NO, NO.

NO the food is NOT only available through the vet.
It IS available WITHOUT prescription.
I order it for lots of my customers. I'm not a vet.

EDIT

OK. I'm in retail so I buy from a wholesaler (trade only).

You could follow the link below (it's only a google search) and look at the sponsored links or others to gauge price and compare with your vet. In practice a local pet store (or pharmacy that carries pet lines) will be cheaper still.
As some pet insurance schemes are based on cost of product rather than where you buy it from, getting the product slightly cheaper could help you. This is going to be a long term condition. The vet is the expert, but why pay more for a tin of food or bag of dry?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en%26amp;q=h...
It shouldn't be a problem, that's what they are there for.. They basically don't pay for pre existing health problems.. If this is a new thing, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Hello..depends on why the vet say the dog needs this prescription food... and my friend who raises Dachsunds, who has an old lady dachshund with cancer for over 10 years uses only the RAW meat diet ..whole RAW ONLY..chicken or turkey parts..%26 a whole fish ( once a week or every other week ) bought from the grocery stores..just remember RAW, then the bones are not dangerous and dogs digest the RAW foods best..so cooked is not good no matter what %26 cooked bones are the danger, even deadly...and Just for Info too..some of the prescription foods have ended up on the recall list as well..so paying more is not always better..if you need info on the recalled pet foods, the sites are on my profile..Take Care :)
if your dog needs it who cares if your premium goes up if it needs to be done it needs to be done money should not be an issue.
My dog is on Hills prescription diet food, I have looked everywhere and can't find it anywhere so have to pay vet prices. I can't get it on insurance and he hates it but there doesn't seem to be a good alternative.
Insurance wise - your premiums should not be affected. The limts will be on whether your insurance policy pays out a maximum for life, for 12 months or per condition.

For that you will have to look at your policy wording.

No comments:

Post a Comment