Monday, May 24, 2010

I need some advice!?

I want to give my Chihuahua a long healthy life. She is now 4 months. And well I want to know what I can do to give her the best health possible without taking it to far. I saw that pets stores sell vitamins and other things to keep them healthy. What do you all suggest I get to keep her healthy? I want to get her some sort of vitamins that will keep her bones strong. As well as her heart strong. I want her coat to be shiny and soft as well. Do they make moisturizer for dogs? I want to put something on her paws/tummy to make them soft. Any suggestions?
Answers:
Okay, I'm glad you want the best for your new family member. That's what they are, family members. I've been in the owning, showing, breeding, raising of dogs for now over 16 years. My grandfather had his own vet clinic when I was a kid. My brother works with about a hundred dogs a day. I can help you.
Chihuahuas have long lives as it is. They are the longest living dog. Anything with chihuahua in it will live to be at least 14 years old. So right there you're set.
I would start with food. Look at the ingredients on the package. If there is corn anywhere in the ingredients... don't get it. Corn is not healthy (Science Diet will say otherwise... but they are only trying to sell the food) for human or animal (unless you are a cow that needs to be fattened up). Ask your local pet store for a premium brand dog food. They use the best meat. Humans eat a Grade A meat, Premium dog foods use a Grade B meat, Grocery brand foods (Dog Chow, Kibbles'n'Bits,etc.) use a Grade C meat or by-products (aka leftovers). I would stay away from beef. Beef has too much hormones in it that dogs are becoming allergic to beef. Stick with chicken, lamb, fish, turkey, etc. If you pup has sensitive skin or a skin pigment (look under the fur... the skin will be off colored in parts), I would stick with lamb. With a good food you won't have to worry about vitamins. She is small, they really have a lot of bone density issues. Make sure she doesn't jump off anything until she is at least a year old. Then only off sofa levels. Nothing higher. Keep her up to date on her vet checks. The vet will be giving you some heartguard. That will help to prevent from some problems. It also depends on her genetics. She should have a soft coat until she turns somewhere between a year and two. Then her adult fur will come in and it will be a little more on the course side. It's still soft I think. Keeping it shiny is also based on the food. Also on the grooming. Do not bathe her everyday. A couple times a month is good. More than that only if absolutely needed. Otherwise there will be skin flaking issues. There are conditioners for dogs... scented as well. Choose the one your groomer and you like best. Don't put anything on her paws and tummy unless advised by your vet. You don't want her paws to crack and get sore... but you don't want them to be so soft that she can't walk on sidewalks either. She can take the tough sidewalks and rocky grounds. Talk with your vet on what you can do to keep them from cracking. It's hell to get them healed. I also suggest you get her into some puppy classes. As a puppy these classes are for socialization and education (your education). Then you can move into obedience classes when she is 6 months. These can help so much so that you won't be considered a bad dog owner. A dog that stops barking when told "no bark" is good. A dog that can walk on a leash without pulling to get after another dog is seen as a well behave and well trained dog. Keep the dog socialized. Make sure as a puppy she is being allowed to be touched by many people of different ages and races (there are people out there who train their dogs to attack other races... so sad). Play with her feet and toes... this will help when clipping toenails... one of the toughest things to do with small dogs. Check her teeth by lifting up her lips and opening her mouth. Praise her when she does good at this. This will be helpful when seeing the vet. The vet will be able to do an examination without being bit. Do all this while playing with her so she knows that this is a fun thing, not a bad thing. Have a lot of natural bones for her to chew on. Rawhide is not good for dogs. They eat it and swallow it and then it get lodged in their system and plugs them up. I know, I've had to remove rawhide from a dog's rectum because she got plugged up. Natural bones and toys are best for her.
I hope this helps you. I have a lot of advice to give when it comes to dogs... but I would be talking all day if I did that.
Good luck and have fun with her!
Just make sure your dogs is on prescription flea medications and heartworm pills, eats a high quality food (not from Walmart), gets enough excercise, is spayed and that you follow the vets advice. Spaying her can add years to her life and prevent many cancers.
If you are feeding a good quality dogfood you won't need to give vitamins and supplements. In fact if you are feeding a good quality dogfood and aren't having any issues w/ health, a supplement will only throw the balance off, causing you problems.

You don't want to make the pads on her feet soft, she needs the protection when she is walking outside.. Hot cement, stones etc. You shouldn't put moisturizers on them, plugs up the pores and you will have skin issues..

Feed her good food, lots of fresh clean water, lots of good exercise, don't treat her like a baby, allow her to be a dog, and train her, and she'll be fine.
The breeder I got my dog from told me about ShowStopper, I've given it to her since I got her she is now 8 months old. She is so healthy and her coat is beautiful. You get it on line at... http://www.bodybuilding.com just enter the store and go to pet products our just put in Showstopper. Enjoy your new pup;^)
I have 7 chihuahuas and they are healthy happy and oh so beautiful. They have the shiniest coats you have ever seen(well, that is what people tell me anyway) I feed them pedigree puppy when young and then small crunchy bites when they are older. No vitamins .
All you need is in the food. Take her to the vet for her shots when she needs them and your vet will tell you when she needs anything else. Nothing on the pads of her feet she needs them to be tough they are her shoes after all. Not too much table food (I know it is tempting) Pork is VERY bad for all dogs. Love her with all your heart and she will be fine.
I agree feed her a quality food!!! I feed mine Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice Small Crunchy Bites. Fur is shinier, skin is no longer dry, eyes look better, and they are just healthier all around!! And yes, get her spayed!!
What you feed the dog and exercise are the two most important things to do in order to prolong your dog's life.
Feed her a multi-vitamin , balanced or high protein dog food. Make sure she exercises everyday. Only buy her calcium supplements because not many dog foods offer calcium .
This will give her healthy bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment