Monday, May 24, 2010

I need to deworm my goat?

but my puppy eats the goats poop all the time. Do I need to worry about the medication affecting the puppy or will the goat affectively digest the meds? The medication is called Valbazen. On the label it says:WARNING :cattle: 27day slaughter withdrawl, not for use in first 45 days of pregnancy or within 45 days of removal of bulls. sheep: 7 day slaughter withdrawl, not for use in the first 30 days of pregnancy or within 30 days of removal of rams. Not for use in dairy animals. There are warnings to protect humans from injesting the stuff what about other animals and by-product? I asked a vet tech and she said dont worry... Ok all you vet techs out there...what do you think? I cant keep the two animals apart. You know how puppies are...she will outgrow the scat-eating and I could wait to administer meds I guess...
Answers:
I'm not a vet tech...but I have an LGD (Livestock Guardian Dog) that lives with the goats and ingests their droppings. I worm my goats regularly and she has never been affected (she has been with the goats since she was 5 weeks old). Just make sure you worm your puppy regularly, too.

If your puppy is a livestock guardian breed she will NOT outgrow eating the droppings. It's normal for them to want to clean up any evidence of their herd so as not to attract predators. It also helps them bond with the herd. It seems gross to us but it's completely normal for them.
i have goats 2 they are just lyk u'rs don't bother u they will change soon
woa woa !!! SO MUCH READING! TO MANY NUMBERS!!!


You shouldn't let you puppy eat goat crap because the worms could be in there and get to your puppy.
I think I would worry less about the pup ingesting de-wormer than whatever worms might pass. Not all of them will necessarily be dead, and then you'll have a pup with worms, too. Do the best you can, but you may need to worm the pup, too.
They should be fine. Most of the medicine will be excreted throught the urine and the rest that is excreted through the intestines wont be enough to harm your pup. But I do recomend that you deworm your pup because he's probably eating the parasites eggs from the goats poop. Good Luck.
we have goats and dogs, we worm them all with the same thing we use safeguard goat wormer and safeguard puppy wormer. You can use the valbazen on both as well so i guess the answer is it dosnt matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment