Friday, May 21, 2010

I live in Texas; whats the FASTEST way to cool a dog down?


Answers:
Having run field trials in Texas I fully understand your concern.
More than the temperature the humidity is the problem in combination with the heat. The dogs 'swamp cooler' (panting) loses it's efficiency.
Getting the dog "wet" is not what will cool the dog down, it is the evaporation of that wetness that does. For this reason in high humidity mix water 50/50 with alcohol in a spray bottle to "MIST" the dog with. This will evaporate 4 times faster than just water.
At many trials I have seen a plain ole tub of ice water behind the line to toss a dog in when it's an emergency.
I have a husky mix who suffers in the summer. I BRUSH him until my arm is tired, keep multiple shady places for him, fill his dish with ice and just cover it with COLD water.

It works pretty good for keeping him cool.

If you think the dog is at risk of heat stroke, soak him with a cold hose and put him in a shady area. Fans also help.

Sometimes, I through a lot of ice in the bathtub and my dog likes to lay in it. That only works if you have a dog who likes to nap in the tub. Its cool.
Fastest? Ok how about in a cold pool/tub maybe have dog go swimming? They cool down by panting but I am sure getting into cold water would be the fastest.
1st of all depends on the breed and if it's a short haired breed than just give it nice fresh cold water (u don't want a dog used to winter climate in teaxas)
You could have the dog drink really cold water. You could put some ice cubes in there. You could also brush the dog, and make sure the dog doesn't stand on hot cement for a long time because that could damage the dogs' paw pads. Also keep the dog in the shade and out of the sun for a while. But I think the fastest way is to give the dog ice cold water and brushing.
Cool, not cold bath.
Alcohol on the pads of the feet and sometimes the tips of the ears. And then wetting the dog down. If the dog is severely overheated you can't lower their temp. to fast or you could kill the dog.

I carry terrycloth cool coats for my dogs.I wet them down and put them on and the water evaporating cools my dogs.

I have a black and a black and white Whippet, so heat is a factor.
You need to try and get water on the dog as fast as you can. If you are home then fill the bath tub up with cool water and put the dog in it.
Get cold clothes or ice packs and place them under the dogs shoulders ( arm pits) and the stomach and on its head and neck.
Try and get the dog to drink but slowly. Don't let the dog drink a lot very fast. Give the dog ice cubes to eat.
I hope the dog is usually kept in the house.
If you see a change in the dog's behavior then you need to get the dog to the Vet fast. Dogs can die fast from being over heated.
Dogs nor cats should be left outside long less when it is hot!! Dogs are social animals and want to be a part of the family. They can't do that if they are chained up or put in a pen
Good Luck
Put him/her in the a/c and give it water (not really cold water). I saw that on Animal Planet. It's to my understanding that spraying dogs with cold water from an outdoor hose is the worse! It's tooooo cold for dogs.
Spray it with water and give it ice water... soak it with the hose and then put it by a fan..
Have some camping type ice packs ready at all times. Spread frozen ones out and put a towel over them. get him to lie on them. It works. And do all the stuff the other people said.

No comments:

Post a Comment