Monday, May 24, 2010

I Need Help With My New Beagle Puppy!?

My 4 month old beagle puppy is driving both me and my husband insane. I walk him in the morning before going to work and then I put him inside my bathroom with music, the lights on, newspaper and all his toys. When I get back home he has peed everywhere but on the newspaper! I take him outside and he does everything but go potty. As soon as we get back to my apartment he pees! I have all different types of chew toys, bones, and tennis balls for him so he does not get stressed while I'm at work. But when I take him out as soon as I get home to play with him he licks my face for like the first 3 minutes then he starts biting me everywhere, he's a crazy dog. When I tell him NO BITING! he barks at me...I've tried scaring him with the noise of the newspaper, putting him outside, but nothing works. Instead he just barks forever! Please help me with the biting, barking and potty training. Also, are there any humane dog collars...I'm to the point of even considering one
Answers:
when he starts smelling walls or any stuff closely, its a signal that he's gonna pee or poop. have a regular schedule/ be consistent in the time you feed him or let him drink, that way, he'd pee and poop in a specific time, therefore you'd be able to predict when he's gonna potty.

instead of saying no biting, try saying "give" and "no",- commandingly taking it away from him, be slow in moving towards him coz they take stuff and ran off quickly,right?(i had my dives hehe)

he's a pup so dont leave him unattended running around the house, give him a fenced corner. when you already have time to watch over him, leash him while going around the house, that way he will eventually learn where and where not to go in specific areas indoors.

play with your dog in you free time that way you'll know each other better( likes and dislikes). find the part of his body he wants to be tickled or smooth pet rubbed. my pup loves his chest rubbed, thats the time he calms down.

about the music, it doesnt help. if you can avail of "cardinal housebreaking aid" or other brands ( this is liquid drops you place on areas where you want your dog to poop or pee). it will be helpful, when you leave him in the bathroom.

they bark, howl if they smell something suspicious or hear something weird, its their nature as hounds.but when trained it can be minimized

beagles are loving companions,very naughty but when they get to know you, they submit to your voice of command.

wait 'till you reach the training period, about 6mos old. it'll be fun coz beagles are very witty/smart but sneeky sometimes hehe.training them to use their witts into good use.

i was also frustrated at first but when i researched and asked others, i learned to handle the situation well.

about the collars, smooth soft leather for puppy, but leash must be metal coz they tend to chew on cloth and leather leash.

hope i answered your inquiry.im glad to help.(" ,)

any questions? just message me and/or check us out and join beagleworld@yahoogroups.com and learn and get info from other members as well
Get a crate and crate train him. You can read how to do it in the resolved answers. How long are you gone? Pups can only hold it so long. If you're gone 8-9 hours daily he'll be impossible to housetrain.

Beagles are high energy dogs. He's not getting near enough exercise, so he's misbehaving. I would suggest more walks and obedience lessons.

Another suggestion would be to get him into Beagle rescue. Don't get another dog until someone is home.
It looks like you are giving him a walk try walking him again in the evening if you can. He seems like he has a lot of energy.
I think you might also need to call a trainer to come to your home or take some obedience classes. He is running the house and you have to learn to be his boss.
I have a gentle leader for walking my GSD and when he was younger we had on with a rope tied to it while we were at home with him it gives you more control over the dog and the rope helped us catch him when or make him lay down when he was being bad.
do not put anything like that on your dog if you are not watching him or walking him they can easily get tangled up in it

For when you are away a crate is great and for whatever reason they actually like it better than having a room to themselves, well at least mine did he was sad when we put it away he always slept in it with the door open
they are very difficult dogs, they are hunting dogs, they need lots of space, sorry, you may change of dog, this dogs specially need lots of activity
ok first of all DEEP BREATH!! lol, trust me I went through this a few weeks ago. The point at which you wonder "what the hell did I do?!? This dog is INSANE!!" We have a 14wk chocolate lab...enough said :)

First of all, can you get him a crate? Big enough for him to stand up, turn around, and lay down in...but not bigger than that. Otherwise he will use one end to potty and one end to sleep. The problem you are having in the bathroom is because that is too much space for him at this point, he has no control and doesnt know whats expected of him, and he is actually being given TOO much freedom when he is left in the bathroom.

When you go outside try to minimize the distractions, and continue to say "go potty, go potty" or whatever your 'phrase' is. Another tip is to leave some poops out in the yard for a few days, and place him next to it to sniff and say 'go potty' he will associate the smell and it will hurry him up to do his business.

When you say no bite, do you yell? He may think he is joining in the fun by barking. I either grab my puppy by the scruff of the neck and say 'NO!' very fim, or grab her lower jaw and apply pressure to it. Also you could make your hand into a fist when he bites and push it into the back of his mouth. He will learn it is uncomrtable when he bites.

Praise him ALOT for pottying outside and for licking. ALOT almost to the 'i can't believe im doing this-this is ridiculous' amount. (trust me, the neighbors think im insane clapping and dancing around after our pup pees)

When our pup barks we also grab her and say 'NO!' but keep in mind, beagles are an extremely vocal breed, but stay consistent and try to keep your cool, dogs are very good at picking up our feelings.

I know its rough, but it will get better in a few weeks i promise!!! Hang in there! :-)
,II have a beagle, and many o the same problems, mine has severe separation anxiety. I tried kenneling large and small kennels but to no avail. Beagle need attention and lot of it the biting is probably for play and or depending how the bites are could be trying to the set the guidelines. Stay firm let the beagle know you are the pack leader. It took several years for my beagle lighten up but NOW he is the coolest dog! Lazy as hell now but still just as loving.

Just remember you have to set the guide lines and don't let them cross the lines. I am having some of the same problems with my new Viszla, they are very high-strung and more energy than an atomic bomb, but you will never guess who is helping raise her, yup the beagle he sets the rules and the Vizsla follows. and who said dogs aren't smart!

Good luck
Wait for toms answer he will tell you anything you need to know about beagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment