Friday, May 21, 2010

I need advice...(GS training)?

I have two 13 month old GS. The female(spayed) is sweet as can be and very obedient. But the male is HARD HEADED! He challenges my authority often!

One problem I'm having is that every single time I open a door, he practically runs me over to get through the door first. I make him sit and lie down before opening the door, but as soon as it's opened, he jumps up and knocks me over trying to get through it first. And he will not walk behind me. He tries to run in front. He also has bitten me while after the cat (I was holding it. He got rolled and scolded.).

I have no idea what I did different with him because his sister is not like that. He's not neutured, yet. We were going to try to breed him, but the vet thinks that getting him cut will help.

I've rolled him many times, picked him completely up off of the ground, he has to sit before he gets to eat or go through a door, if he jumps, he gets the lead popped HARD, and I use a pinch some.
What do I need to do differently?
Answers:
Well as an owner and a breeder of GS let me first welcome you to the world of adventure!

GS males uncut are more aggressive and hard headed as you stated than the females...BUT there is hope!

Have him wear a leash around his neck. Then ask him to sit, lay down whatever command you give him prior to opening the door. Place your foot on the leash. Then open the door. When he goes to run through it. State the word "NO" keeping a firm stance on the leash. He will want to run but will not be able to. When he sits back down because he can not dart through the door then praise him with lots of good boys and pats on the head.

Another thing when walking him, Since GS are large dogs hold the leash with both hands centered at chest level. This helps you keep your balance while walking him. If he starts to run off- immediately turn and go in the other direction and continue twisting and turning until he has to follow you because he has no ideal where you are going. when he returns to your side praise and treat. Or click and treat depending on your training methods. Hope this helps if you need additional information don't hesitate to ask or if you need claification email me.
Some people think that an electronic collar is cruel but I have an American Bulldog who was the same exact way I only had to zap her 2 times and never had to use it again.
If you are not sure on the proper technique in that training you need to contact a professional
This might sound a bit cruel, but shut the door on him a couple of times when he goes to bolt out. This is the technic you use on bigger dogs.
It's called genetics. He has it and his sister does not. It is also called dominance. He is a dominant dog who does not look at you as a worthy leader. You will need to use an Electric collar on him and the training behind this is too long to go into here. Go to leerburg.com and listen to what Ed has to say. he is rough, but his advice works. Put his methods to good use and you can turn the dog around. A last piece of advice here. NEVER, EVER roll the dog again, there will come a time when he will react very violently to this and you will lose. If you have ever seen what a person looks like after being bitten in the face by a shepherd, you would change your mind too.

No comments:

Post a Comment