Monday, May 24, 2010

I need help with a dog question?

My sister in laws dog is not eating, losing weight, and throwing up. Do you think the dog swallowed something or do you think it is heartworms or something else. She took her to the vet yesterday and they didnt find anything wrong.
Answers:
Tell her to feed the dog several little rolled up balls of bread. If she has swallowed anything sharp(bones, screws, staples, sticks, glass) the object will get stuck in one of the balls of bread and will pass safely. This really works, I used this method on my dog, but the reason I know this is because my uncle accidentally swallowed a screw and this is what the Doctor ordered, and it worked.
I had the same problem with one of my dogs and he ended up in the hospital for a few days. If you arent satisfied with what the vet said get a second opion. Mine had to have iv's because he lost so many body fluids. Did she try a new dog food that she may not have liked. My vet told me to give mine maylox she might want to try that also.
Good luck if her dog is like mine it is her baby and I worry so much about them.
I'm sorry to hear about your sister's dog problem first of all. My first question to you would be how old is the dog? If the dog is really old then it may be coming close to the dogs time to go...if you know what i mean. If the vet didnt find anything wrong then I'm not sure what else I could tell you except hope for the best. Or maybe try taking the dog to another vet clinic and get more than one opinion because at the sound of the dogs condition the dog won't last much longer unless you get the dog some help from someone else. I experienced something similar with my Rottweiler that I had a few years ago. She was getting old and she stopped eating because everytime she would eat shed get sick. She in turn got really skinny. Make sure if you take the dog to someone else you try and get every possible test done to the dog that will help the dog. I love dogs and I know its not easy watching a dog suffer like that. I wish you the best of luck.
Mabe its the food. Try a different kind and see if that will help. If he is pooing still then he can't be blocked up. He may have ate something bad dogs can get sick sometimes from dead fish or other rotting meats. If I was here I would bring the dog to a different vet for a second opinion.
Did the vets do any tests? Is the dog on any of the foods that have been recalled? If this continues, she needs to take the dog back and insist on blood tests...liver, kidney, etc. Is the dog drinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment