Friday, May 21, 2010

I live in Knoxville, TN. I have a 10-12 week old puppy. He needs his 1st vet visit. Any recommendations?

I live in the Western Avenue area. If anyone could suggest a good vet close to there, I would really appreciate it!
Answers:
Congrats on your new puppy. I live in North Carolina but I take my dog to Banfeild Veterinarian. Banfeilds Vets are usually in a Pet Smart but you can do a search to find one near you. I have the insurance plan for my dog. It covers his shots and discounts on meds, spay/neuter and flea control. Many of the pet emergency hospitals also take their insurance. It saves me about 450$ a year going there and they even have drop off service. Look for a pet smart near you to see if they are in your area. My plan costs about $20 a month and for $10 more I can up his coverage on dental care as well. It is more convenient and cost effective if you can.
Good luck on your search and love your puppy!
Visit dex on line
First Vet check %26 shots should have occured when they were 6 to 8 weeks of age, each visit after that should take place every 4 weeks.
Go to www.healthypet.com. It's the website of the American Animal Hospital Assn. They can direct you to a vet clinic. Once you have some recommendations from them, I would go on my local Craig's List (type craig's list Knoxville in the search). In Craig's list there is a link titled "pets". You can register on Craig's list and place a posting in the pets section asking local people if they would recommend any of the vet clinics you've been given by the AAHA or a specific vet in the area. It's good to look for a vet who specializes in small animals (pets) rather than a general vet whose bread and butter is cattle or horses. These vets are more likely to see your dog as a family member rather than an entitiy with a market value.

No comments:

Post a Comment