Monday, May 24, 2010

I need help on what I should do about my 2year old dog and the bordatella vaccination.?

My dog got out at 5pm on May 2nd. He was found at 6pm and turned into the pound at 8am May 3rd. I retrieved him by noon that day. They gave him his bordatella vaccination by nasal spray and distemper/parvo vaccination via needle because according to their records he was due them by August. Last August I had them administor the THREE year shots, making him not need any boosters until 2009. The pound didn't ask before adminstoring them. I called the vet and he said that parvo and kennel cough are high alert right now and that it wouldn't hurt him, despite how unnecessary it was. He hasn't really been eating much and he just vomited (he wasn't active before). He isn't coughing, and spent the last week very active. Should I be paranoid and take him to the vet? His nose is warm and wet, and he seems good.
Answers:
No coughing is good. They call it 'kennel cough' because it's mostly identified by the hacking sound they make. As far as the shelter giving the vaccines, that's something you need to take up with them.
The vaccines shouldn't be a problem. The duration of immunity is the only thing that makes the vaccine a '3 year.'
If the vomiting continues, if he goes off his food, starts with diarrhea, then you should be concerned.
The only way to get an acurate temperature is to take it rectally. Normal temp is 100-102.5F.
Even if your dog had the Bordatella vaccine/spray he can still get Kennel Cough. There are several hundred varieties of the virus. Your vet is correct it won't hurt him. The pound is a traumatic experience for any dog. Everything sounds very normal.

You sound like a very caring and concerned owner.
IF I WERE YOU THIS IS WHAT I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT...I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT MY DOG WAS EXPOSED TO WHILE AT THE POUND...POUNDS ARE FULL OF DOGS...OUR LOCAL POUND CAN'T SEEM TO KEEP PARVO OUT...I WOULD TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET FOR A COMPLETE CHECK-UP...LET HIM KNOW HOW LONG YOUR DOG WAS IN THE POUND...AND IF I WERE YOU I WOULD TAKE ALONG A STOOL SAMPLE...THEY ARE ALWAYS HANDY! ALSO I DON'T THINK IT IS UNCOMMON FOR SHELTERS TO GIVE SOME SHOTS...I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DID NOT CONTACT YOU FIRST THOUGH...MAYBE THEY WERE TRYING TO PROTECT THE DOG...WHO KNOWS...THE BOOSTERS SHOULD NOT HURT YOUR DOG...I WOULD STILL BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT ALL HE WAS EXPOSED TO WHILE THERE...

No comments:

Post a Comment