Sunday, August 2, 2009

I just put my puppy to sleep and need support?

Hi,
It has now been 48 hours since I've had to hold my puppy (13 yrs old) and feel him go. I've been crying so hard my eyes are swollen to the point where I don't look right. His name was Normandy and he screamed for a few seconds and his body was fighting. The doctor said it was due to him becoming disoriented, it was terrible and seconds after, he left. It is ripping inside of me. It's been really really hard. I know I did the right thing, but it hurts so much. Please confirm he didn't suffer and he knew we loved him. I'm so heartbroken.
Answers:
I'm sooooo sorry about your loss - I have a 12 1/2 year old lab and dread the day.

He didn't suffer - Hopefully this will help:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.
I know its hard, but you may just need some alone time. No one can tell you how you should feel, you just need to take things slowly, and if you feel like cring then cry, and it hasreally helped me to just take a long slow walk.
I'm so sorry. I've been through it a few times and it is never ever easy. It is Ok to feel grief - eventually it will subside and you'll have warm good memories of Normandy.

I also had a dog that struggled once and it bothered me too. I truly understand how you feel. You absolutely did the right and loving thing. Sometimes the right thing isn't easy.

You'll be in my thoughts today. Hang in there.
I am so sorry for your loss. i had to put my 14 yr old Husky to sleep and i miss her everyday. I still cry over her and always will. your dog was not in any pain, its just a reflex. Its just the humane thing to do, the greatest gift of love to give when you know they are suffering and you can do something to ease it. When you can give them no more you give them peace. let yourself grieve and miss him, then think of all he gave you and how lucky you were to have had such a sweet baby. One day when you see him again he will thank you for this last act of ultimate love...God bless
(HUGS)
I'm about to cry for you. thats hard, and don't be ashamed to let it out. he knows you loved him. and you did it bc you loved him so much you didnt want him to suffer. i'm sure you will see your puppy again. he'll wait for you. he loved you too.
Why was he put to sleep?
Oh my God I'm so sorry. Reading this made my eyes fill up with tears and I don't even know you.

Only time will heal this. I can tell you you did the right thing if your dog was ill and had lost his quality of life, though I don't suppose that will help you feel better at all.

I see a lot of euthanasias. I can tell you that the drug they used doesn't sting when it goes in or cause them to suffer in any way - it is in fact the best way to go, as natural death is often very unpleasant sadly. Sometimes older dogs do feel weird as they go and this makes them struggle or cry out - I honestly don't think it's because they are suffering, just feeling weird I think.

In time things will get better for you, and you will look back on all the good memories and smile, I promise. I hope you have people to look after you during this time.

God bless,
Chalice
Normandy is in my heart today.

This is the very worst part of loving so deeply.

Normandy knows you did what was best and is thanking you right now, for his new, painfree life. He's running around again, happy and without a care, just as he did when he was a pup.

He'll be there for you, always, in your dreams and when you are ready to let go and pass over he will be there to show you the ropes. I promise.

It's alright to cry your eyes out. Cry as much as you want, I know I am right now and I didn't even know Normandy. Indulge in your sorrow until the clouds in your heart clear and you are ready to smile again.

Then adopt a rescue and name him Normandy the second.

The more you love the more love that will be waiting for you when your time comes to rejoin all those who have gone before you.

Please take the time to go through some of your photos, pick a few, have them enlarged and framed and put them where you can talk to Normandy every day. He'll listen.
Awwww i feel sooo bad for u ,i have a almost 12 year old black lab, and i dont ever never want her to die, if u want to talk u can email me at wyandot_chick@yahoo.com
I am so sorry. I did the same with a cat a couple of years ago (she had cancer). It's always sad, but it does get better. You were with him; he knows you love him. The vet is right. The pentobarbitol doesn't hurt. Please give yourself permission to grieve. Losing a pet is so hard. You did the right thing. He's at peace now. And remember, we're all just a message away. Take care.
Susan
That's very odd...he should not have suffered. He should have been given a sedative before he was actually given the infection that stopped his heart. You need to call that vet back ASAP and find out what was going on, and consider legal action.

I know it is a tough time now. I had to put down a dog a couple of years ago. I still cry all the time, but it has gotten better with time. Time heals! I also suggest counseling, it is the best thing you can do right now.
So sorry for your lost--here's a website that has some beautiful soothing and helpful things to read --http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm. ----about pets and animals
You poor thing. Like the others, I too feel your pain. I had to put my 15 1/2 year old baby down in October. I held her until she took her last breath. I still miss her.
I know another dog will never replace Normandy, but I hear that getting another dog right after you lose one, helps tons. If I was home during the day, I'd get one in a heartbeat. Hang in there.
If the vet knew what he was doing,I believe you're dog didn't suffer. It was just a normal reaction to the drugs. Just remember, Once they are gone, there is no memory of or pain of any kind what so ever. The main thing is wither or not you took care of you're pet while it was alive and with you. That's what you should dwell on now. Having you're pet put to sleep was very brave of you and humane as oppose to letting it suffer an agonizing death on it's on. The best way to get over the loss of a pet is to make you're self go and get another one. But Preferable not like the one you just lost because it may just remind you of him. Look back with fond memories, not on something you can't totally control. And you will be fine.
You did the right thing, im Very sorry for your lost hopefully you'll feel better soon...HUGS
I can't imagine how you feel, my Bichon is 12 years old and he is such a part of my family, I can only imagine what a void there is going to be. I love him so much, like a child. I feel so sorry for you but I don't think he suffered. I guess he was sick that's why you put him down? If he was sick he's in a better place now. I started thinking about this happening to my guy in Dec. and we went out and got a little puppy. I know that I would not be able to deal with losing him so If you have another puppy to take care of it will ease the pain. Another dog will never take his place in your heart but I think it will help. Its what he would want. Its going to take time before you feel better,but you'll meet again. Peace
Your puppy knew you loved it!! You don't have to worry about that!!
I had to put two of my dogs to sleep about 8 months apart. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I am 55 years old so it doesn't matter how old you are it hurts and hurts bad. It has been over two years and I cry every time I begin to think about my dogs. As I am writing to you I am crying.
I am sure you did the right thing. The puppy was suffering and in pain. The puppy is not in pain any more.
Your puppy is up in Heaven playing with my dogs. They are running,playing and having so much fun.
They are playing with all the little children that have left this world.
That is how I have to look at things!!
Sorry for your loss!!
Hi chthmeljen, happy Friday.
I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing and your boy did not suffer any more than was necessary due to your selfless decision. I held my Minor (100lb. ridge-back) in my arms last month when he took his last breath in the vet's office. Different animals react in different ways. My Minor tensed all up before he let go. The reaction is merely reflex, not emotional or painful for the beloved dog.
All the best to you. I will pray for you.
I hope you will bless and be blessed today.
i feel for you.
my wife recently bought a book for a neighbor's kid whose cat was run over - some book by Mr Rogers (you know, Mr Rogers? from PBS?) about losing a pet. It was geared towards kids, but the wife said it was a great book, very tasteful and helpful.
You did the right thing by not allowing your pet to suffer any longer than necessary. Be strong!
I know how you feel. Normandy was a part of you, and now that that part is gone, you feel as if you can never, ever, be whole again. Only time can mend a broken heart, but as I was reading this post with tears in my eyes, I remembered a poem in my "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul" that might help, even a bit. Here it is.

Judgement Day

On Judgement Day Saint Peter stands,
A list of virtues in his hands.
As all the souls in silence wait
To see who'll pass through heaven's gate.
"You will enter first," he says, "if you
can swear your heart was always true.
And you were constant to the end,
A steadfast, loyal, devoted friend.
Never spiteful, never mean,
Unchanging through good times and lean.
With no desire but this: to be
allowed to love eternally."
And this is why Saint Peter's hand
Throws wide teh heavenly portals, and
with wagging tails and shining eyes
the dogs walk into paradise.

Normandy is right along with these dogs. On some days you will feel his presence, trotting along beside you happily, and then you will know and be reassured, that Normandy's love for you will never end, and your love for him will always be there.
God bless you.
I understand what you are going through, I was 24 when my mom had to put my dog to sleep I had her since I was 9 years old. She lived to be 15 years old which is quite old. I didnt feel at the time that it was the right thing to do but looking back on it now I understand she is better off. It was nearly 5 years before I got another dog, now I have two. I hope everything gets better for you.
oh my, i am so sorry for your loss. animals know what is in our hearts better than we do, he knows you love him.
i have a little puppy now, and do not even want to think about loosing her.
my cat of 16 yrs died a few years ago, i was home from work with her, it took her a week to die. it was heart wrenching. we buried her close to home, she did not like to stray far. jer picture, and this poem, sits here by the computer for the last 4 years..
i wrote this poem, as i need to write when something breaks my heart.
the last dance
i helplessly watch as she dance the dance of death,
i wait for her last breath, hoping, fearing
she walks in circles
the soul searching for the way home
she walks, she stumbles
she lifts her head, she stumbles,
she slumps down, head bowed, she falls
she struggles back to her feet
she circles the wood stove, her favorite spot,
she reaches her little box bed, puts in one paw
then shakes and collapses
i guide her into her bed
she lays, wrapped in the sweatshirt of the one she loves most
she finally gives in, takes her last breath
and i though i had cried all of my tears

maybe i should have put her down, my heart told me that she needed to be home, the home we shared with this creature of love

god bless
you are in our thoughts and prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment