Sunday, August 2, 2009

I just got a miniature dachshund...?

and he will not stop crying. I have tried feeding him and giving him water, and I hold him as much as I possibly can. I know he isn't sick, he has papers and is dewormed and has his first round of shots. What's wrong with him? How do i get him to stop?
Answers:
Congrats on your new doxie :] I have a 17 week old female and I went through the SAME thing!

He just doesnt know whats going on. He misses his mother and litter mates, thats all. Here are some things that you can do:

1. Get a heating pad and put it under a blanket. Turn the setting on LOW and make sure the blanket is pretty thick .. just to avoid your pup getting burned. Put this in the crate at bedtime. Its nice and warm and it will feel like his mom.

2. Along with number one get a BIG teddy bear to put in his crate. He will be nice and warm and snuggle with it and fall right asleep.

3. Get an old clock that has a ticking noise and put that under his blanket (make sure he can hear it by sticking your head near it). This sounds like the mothers heart beat so he should fall asleep to that.

4. PLAY! About a half hour before bedtime take him outside to pee/poo and then bring him in and play, hard. Tire him out! A tired pup, is a sleepy pup!

5. Put a shirt that smells like you in his crate when it comes to bedtime. It will soothe him.

***I know its hard right now, but he is just a pup. Its like raising a baby. First off, I REALLY recommend crate training but NEVER EVER punish him in his crate. The crate should be a GOOD thing, NOT a BAD thing. Thats rule number 1.

Also, when is he crying? Is he just crying at night? If hes just crying at night then you must ignore him. I know its hard but he has to learn that night time ISNT playtime. I've been through this twice and it DOES get easier! With my first dog I had his crate in my bedroom and that made it worse since he could see me, so I put him downstairs in the kitchen in his crate. You can also leave the TV on low so he hears people.

Is he just crying in the house? What I did the first day I got my Dachshund pup was close off the living room (there is only one way into my living room so I put a baby gate there) and opened her crate put her blankets and 1 toy in there and put her in there. Then I sat on the floor and turned on the tv and just ignored her. As much as I wanted to hold her and baby her she NEEDS to learn her independence. So anywho, she sat in her crate and whined (oh yeah, the door was open so she could go in and out) and I was just on the floor watching Ellen, LOL, and soon enough she comes out and starts investigating things. By the end of Ellen she was on my lap and NOT crying! The thing is to NOT baby him and hold him every time he cries. That will not be good in the long run. Then he will wind up with seperation anxiety, which a dog I adopted had a few years ago and it was not fun. I couldnt even pee without him trying to chew through the door! So this may sound mean but stop picking him up! LOL You can hold him when you're watching tv and hes being GOOD. But when he cries, ignore him. You can do this.

Also, I have a tip for potty training if you need it. Since he is going to be small take him out every 3-4 hours; EVEN at night. When he gets up, before and after drinking/feeding and before he goes to bed. If you work make sure someone can come let him out during lunch or if you can go home during your lunch break to let him out. I know its hard to get up during the night, but he cant hold it for 8 hours. I started going twice a night (I went to bed at 11; went out 3%266AM).

Here is a site that helps me with ALL my pup problems!:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/care.htm...

I hope this helps! Good luck with your pup and let me know how everything goes. You're doing fine :]

Good Luck!
How old is he? If he is a young puppy, he probably just misses his litter- it will pass. Just think of how stressful 'moving' is to him!
shes right carry him around with you and if you want let him sleep with you. hes going to start thinking of you as his mommy.
he is probauly scared just give him a little bit to get used to the place.
hey i have a chihuahua! they r so kewler
Euthanasia worked for me!
Sounds like he's scared and confused. How old is he? If he is less than 8 weeks he should not have been seperated from his mother and siblings yet. He's still a baby. In fact he's still a baby at 3 or 4 months old.

You might try putting a stuffed animal in his bed along with a small clock (simulates heart beat of mom and siblings) That might help comfort him. There is also a stuffed dog (available at Petsmart I believe) that has a built in heartbeat...like the heartbeat bears for human babies.

Hope this helps.
Ellen...listmom at DachsieHeaven (a Yahoo group)

No comments:

Post a Comment