Sunday, August 2, 2009

I just got a new puppy today and my other one is freaking out!?

I just got a nine week old puppy today. I mostly got the puppy because I wanted my other one to have company during the day when we aren't able to be here with her and they could keep each other company. So I was really exctied for them to meet each other and they are not getting along at ALL. She is 5months old and I think she's about ready to come into heat. We were planning on getting her fixed one day this week. Did I make the wrong decision of getting my new puppy too soon. I know there's no backing and I don't want to because I've already fell in love with the new pup. What can I do to help with this matter?
Answers:
seperate the dogs into seperate rooms. (where they can't see each other) give them both a NEW toy or blanket. after a few hours, switch the toys. the smells will slowly allow the dogs to become familiar with one another. do this for at least 2 days. then you can introduce them again face to face. good luck!
Also make sure you show you older dog plenty of love and attention, she will get jealous.
Try separating the dogs for a while, your other dog probably feels like he or she is being replaced. It'll take some time for them to get used to each other.

Just introduce her to the other dog slowly.

I live with a Pug and Beagle and they're both best friends.
well how old is your first dog? she could feel jealous, that happens alot. just keep them in seperate rooms for now but make sure they can see and smell eachother still. try putting up one of those kid gates between two rooms and just keep it like that. make sure the first dog has more space than the new puppy. (ex. the puppy is in the kitchen and the only way out is through a doorway- that's where the gate will be- and the door way leads to the rest of the house, which is where your first dog will be)

No comments:

Post a Comment