Sunday, August 2, 2009

I Just Had My Dog Put To Sleep... How Do I Cope?

When I was 2, we had to put a dog down. I don't even remember her. But the dog we just had to put down today, she meant more to me than most people do. She was almost 15, and had more problems than you could shake a stick at. We had to do it, and now that she's gone... we knew it was coming, but now that it's, well, gone... what do I do?

P.S. We also have another dog who is turning 13 in a couple months. I think even she knows what happened.
Answers:
Wow.. That's a hard question.. It's hard you know.. I had a dog that had cancer, and we had to put her to sleep.. She could no longer eat, or walk, it hit her hard and fast and the only choice we had was to put her to sleep.. She would not get better.. It's a hard thing to get over.. I'll tell you, it's been 5 years now, and I still think ' what if I had done this ' or ' what if I had given her more time ' But you know what, nothing would have been any different.. It's been 5 years and I still cry today if someone mentions her name, or if someone wants to know what happened to her, or if I hear certain songs on the radio...

The problem with dogs, is that they don't live forever, and when they are gone, they take with them a chunk of your heart.. And you think you will never ever love a dog like you loved that dog.. You don't want to love another dog, cause it hurts do darned bad to lose them..

But the next thing you know you have this new dog that is stealing your heart away from you, no matter how hard you try to resist them, how hard to try to keep that distance and not let your self love them so much, and you can't remember how it happened and why you let it happen and then you forget about it and just love the new dog...

You don't get over it, you remember them forever, and then one day you look up and you are happy that you had the chance to spend time with that dog, had her share a part of your life and even tho she is gone, you at least know that you got to share in part of what she was, who she was and spend even that short time with her... Can't get it back, can't start over, will never meet a dog like that again, BUT, you at least got to share a very tiny piece of her life and felt love and loved her, before she was gone...
i know how u feel, and really only time can help u now, sorry about ur dog
I can assure you that your other dog knows what happened. They can sense these things.

Not really anything you can do to cope. Keep pictures of your dog around, keep your attention towards the one you still have (she may show signs of depression, as well).

I recently lost our dog, which we had for 12 yrs (her age was unknown, she was a stray we adopted).
I'd get another dog, hon. I always have two that are not close to the same age. I just lost one at 13, and am still heartbroken... You'll just have to cry alot... I still do. (No the other one does not know what is coming. relax... But YOU do, and that's the hard part.)
Grieve. There's nothing else you can do now, and love your other dog.

Just a side note, I would never have a dog put down, to me it is cruel and inhumane. If the dog is sick get it medicine if it's in pain, there are pain medicines for dogs. To me no dog should EVER have to be put down. Would you kill a family member if they were sick?
sometimes the best thing to do is cry
this happened to me too.i would just relax and try to get used to the fact that she's gone...only you can really know what you can handle though

as for your other dog i would just try to pay more attention to her so that she doesn't get lonley and even more sad
im sorry! try spending time with your other dog (animals know when something happens to one another, it happened with my cats). it will help your doggy cope with it and by making her feel better you will also feel better.
just think of the sweet time you had together and how it was better to have known her, than never to have known her.

All precious in life is the memories, just have found memories of her until you meet again.
I am so very sorry for your loss. I had to do this myself a few years ago when my Catahoula had Intestinal Bowel Disease. It is so sad and is much akin to losing a person. How to cope? Well the best answer I can give is to take one day at a time. It helped me to gather the dogs things up and put them away, so I didn't have to look at them constantly. In a few weeks or months you can go through those things and maybe donate or put them away in a memory box. I do recommend when you feel up to it to create a memory box. This is a box that you can decorate any way you like and place mementos of the dog in. The collar, tags, favorite toys whatever...
Talk to people who will understand what you are going through, especially other family members who are also hurting. Don't keep things bottled up and just try and think of the good times you had with your dog.

God Bless!
To answer your original questions "How Do I Cope". You cannot. You will begin a downward spiral of depression filled with prescription drugs washed down with alcohol. You will lose your job because of a careless car accident that you will be drunkenly responsible for. Your friends and family will comfort you, but to no avail. You will be begin cutting and not eating. You will lie on the floor thinking ideas about how now to think until it drives you insane.

But that is not what your dog would have wanted.

Your dog would want you to continue living and being the person that he/she always thought you were: Fantastic and vibrant.

Please take care of yourself during this episode. It does not matter how you grieve and for how long. All that matters is that you come out of it healthy. Make sure someone you trust is taking care of you during this episode so you stay safe. I am sorry to hear about your loss. That sucks.

It will hurt less later. But not today I am unfortunately.
I too had my beloved Benji put down due to old age and still cry for him after 3 years. I tend to think of the good times I had with him and also the funny moments we had. He is buried in the garden and I put flowers on his grave once a week. You will never forget your dog but the pain will go through time. Take it day by day and believe she is there, watching you..coz she is. Talk to her.she'll listen.
This will take time , everyone has their own way of grieving the lost of a loved one. I had to put my cat to sleep this past December and it was the most difficult decision I had to make but I knew she was suffering so I had to put my feelings aside and do what I thought was best for her, I still grieve for her at times but it is getting easier everyday. I still have her brother here. Even though they are gone the memories of the happiness %26 companionship they bring to us can never be replaced fully. Try to enjoy the other dog you have perhaps this may bring some comfort. Hope I could help. Stay strong.
i am going thru the same thing my 7 year old guinea pig pass way yesterday in my arms so i feel your pain. think about all the good times you had with her. what might help is talking to some you know like a friend or a some one that is close to you. maybe try writing a poem. or just take one day at a time and relax and enjoy the other pets you still have. other pets always know whats happened. my dog Sammy was crying when i was taking my guinea pig out of her cage because he senses that she is dead. and my piggy knew it was her time to go. she was a at that age were it's time to go to heaven and be free with other pets that have pass on.
I am very sorry that your dog is gone. I also had a dog that lived a long time, had problems, and had to be put to sleep. I was sad to lose my friend and I thought that it was unfair that I loved him so much, but that he died before I wanted him to. I thought that it would be a long time before I got another dog.

Only two weeks later, I saw a rescued puppy that needed a home. We adopted him. He did not replace the other dog, but I loved him very much. And all of the things that I learned from the first dog, helped me to raise and teach my new dog. That was six years ago, and I love my new dog very much. Also, I notice that older dogs seem to get a spurt of energy when you adopt a new puppy, and introduce it into the household.
I feel your pain, believe me, I had my sweet puppynose for 14 years, for the 4 months before we had to send him to the rainbow bridge, he wasn't eating, wasn't walking very well, just tired and listless when I took him in to the vet, I was told that it was inoperable cancer that was crushing his heart and other organs, He would have had only a week or 2 to live anyhow and would have died from starvation and dehydration, that is a horrific way to die besides the pain he was in. I begged the doctor to save him, no matter how much the surgery cost. but he told me that surgery wouldnt' save him, to put him under the anasthetic would kill him as surely as the sun would rise. I had to decide how much did I love him, and how selfish as I. I made the same decision you did sweetie. The only comfort I can give you is that you did the best thing for her that you possibly could. You kept your promise, the one you made years ago to take care of her, love her and put her best interest and comfort above your own needs, feelings and reasons. No one ever said goodbye was easy, and you will miss her every day, I lost him almost a year ago, and I still have his dog tags on my key chain. I still get out of bed and try to be careful not to step on his tail, I still cry. Mourn your loss, you lost your friend and don't let anyone diminish that grief by telling you its just a dog. Dogs are people too and if it matters to you, then it matters alot.
I think that only time will help you heal. Pets are part of our family and knowing that when you get home he's not going to be there is very hard but it will pass. Just remember the many times you enjoyed each other's company and never forget her.good luck.
All you can do is cry.
I know because I've gone through that. I bought another dog but nothing will replace the other one.
Since then I learned last year that my dog has bone cancer. I don't know how long he has to live.
I dread the day I have to put him to sleep.
Sorry about your dog.
Go to the Humane Society and adopt a puppy. My dog Lady [ a Shibs Inu ] was 4 when she died. My Husband bought me a Eskimo Spitz puppy. At first I didn't think that I could love that puppy. I had to learn to love him [for the pain was deep] ,and now he is 6. And Goldie , she died last year[ she was old %26 had problems too} and the next day I went to the Humane Society and got a little dog a Shih-Tzu. When I adopted him I didn't know what breed of dog he was. I was trying to get one the color of Goldie. Yes I love the little fellow. Dogs can't be replaced but another one will ease the pain. The pain will go away. She was a part of your life, so you will always have her in your heart %26 memories. Maybe another dog needs the love that you gave to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment