Monday, May 24, 2010

I need help...My dog is bleeding?

Okay..I have a 2 year old bichon frise FEMALE...who accidentally scratched to hard and is bleeding from the left ear..at the end...It's a small scratch..but everytime she shakes..a lot blood comes out...I don't think she needs stiches...I have been washing it..I passed a little rubbing alcohol..I even held it tight to see if the bleeding stops which it does but when she shakes her head hard..it continues to bleed...How can I heal this? The vets are closed..the one next to me is closed down..And I don't want to go to the ASPCA thinking I did some damage to her
Answers:
The ASPCA won't think you hurt her, they know the difference between animal abuse and too-hard scratching!

Ears do take ages to stop bleeding because of being flicked around. She might need a stitch, or she might need a bandage.

Ear bandages are difficult to do, I wouldn't really advise trying one yourself at home - you have to bandage the ear to the head, and if it's too loose it'll come off in a second, but if it's too tight the dog won't be able to breathe!

If you're really unable to find a vet, here are some ear-bandage instructions.
http://www.petalert.com.au/faid/fa12.php... (just scroll past the stuff about eye injuries and stuff)

Take the bandage off tomorrow and if that ear is still bleeding you'll have no choice but to get her to a vet.

If you're going to attempt the ear bandage, know that you should be able to slide two fingers under the bandage around the throat. Stay with her after bandaging to be sure she is comfortable!

I would also advise finding out the source of this scratch - at a minimum your dog needs a nail clip so she can't do this again. If she's scratching a lot she needs proper flea treatment - i.e from the vets not the pet shop.

Chalice
She really needs some help. Call a vet.
dont worry about the aspca and what they think. If you cant ger her to stop bleeding you should take her and see about getting her fixed. Check the phone book for an emergency vet. I dont know how bad it is but assuming the worst thats what I would suggest..
This may sound ridiculous, but it is a serious response. Super glue=) I use it myself when I have a cut somewhere delicate like on the palm of my hand. I promise it will work, and in a few days it will dissolve, and by then the scratch will be healed!=)
I'm no expert but..the skin on the ears is very thin, so I would imagine that any bleeding would not stop quickly. Perhaps you could try holding it tight for a longer time, until a scab/clot can form - but honestly, if your that concerned about it, you should get her to the Vet (an emergency client maybe?) try calling them, they may be able to assist over the phone. Again, I am no expert.
If you have done nothing wrong, then you shouldn't be worried about taking the dog to the ASPCA, and having the wound looked at. By not going to the ASPCA, and the dog needs attention, you are guilty of not providing for the animal, and the ASPCA needs to be notified of you.
DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE. it will infect the scratch. try an emergency vet.
If you give it a good rinse and can look at it well and see that she doesn't need stitches, let her shake blood but don't let her scratch and leave it alone! It will clot. If it doesn't stop bleeding, she may need a stitch or two, so off the vet you go. Remember that it may heal fine on it's own, but may look like a V or slit in her ear. If you don't want that then she has to go to the vet. If it was you, I'd say try superglue or go to the pharmacy for "new skin" (similar to superglue). However, she can't say OMG that burns.

Edit:

I checked back on you--don't keep cleaning it, you may remove the clots.
Dogs bleed pretty good from their ears, It will clot and stop soon. If she keeps opening the wound you might get one of those stupid looking cones that keeps their feet away from their face... She is not going to bleed to death from her ears.
Don't ever use Alcohol on a open wound!! Have you ever used Alcohol on your self? It burns like _ _ _ _ !
Try putting a piece of ice on the area that should help with the bleeding and the pain. Don't keep the ice on the area for very long! Just do it for a few seconds then keep repeating ever so often until the bleeding stops.
Try to get your dog in your lap to lay down while you are applying the ice.
If it is still bleeding by tomorrow then take the dog to the Vet.
The ice should stop the bleeding.
P.S.
Wrap the ice in a wet wash cloth before applying it to the ear.
Oh gosh. Poor thing. I would suggest getting a pad like a nail polish remover/make up pad and taping it to her ear. Until the vets opens back up, of course. They're not that combersome. The comment above is a good idea as well - superglue. Definitely try to keep putting pressure on that ear, though. Good luck, I hope you get this figured out!
As long as it is clotting, and it's not a huge scratch, it should be fine. Don't use rubbing alcohol on her b/c it burns. If you have Neosporin, that will help keep it from getting infected. Just keep an eye on it and dab the blood away if it is still coming out. If it keeps bleeding when she is shaking her head try to keep her busy... Peanut butter in a Kong always works for my dogs.

Good luck... and if it is still bleeding after a while, don't feel embarrassed to bring your dog into the ASPCA. They would rather you bring her in than let her keep bleeding. You might also be able to find an emergency vet clinic around you. I know when my vet is closed they have the number to the (not so) near by emergency clinic. I had to call them once, and they were able to talk me through the problem without me have to drive down there.
Yes torn ears bleed profusely and are hard to stop. If its only a small i.e. less than 1/8" you can glue it. They make skin glue just for this purpose. Make sure you have the bleeding stoped when you apply it or it won't stick and you'll end up with a mess.
Some gauze?
It sounds like you are doing a good job in trying to help your pup. :]
You need to clot her ear with some neosporin. She shakes her head cuz it's bugging her. If you want to , try a small band aid. Some blood may be going into her ear also. Don't panic, just call an emergency vet, if one is around you. Or do what i did, call the ER at your local hospital. Hope this helps you. P.S. i have 3 dogs of my own, so i know how you feel.
Is the blood definitely caused by the scratch? Sometimes ear mites cause damage in the ear which cause a cat to scratch, so there might be some other internal problems to consider.
An ear infection can spread and it can cause misery to the cat, so a vet needs to deal with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment